How To Keep Black Friday Sales From Turning Into Tragedy
One of the most basic expectations a customer or employee has about a department store is the assumption of safety. Department stores typically cover a lot of square footage, involve myriad details, and integrate multiple factors into a successful shopping experience. Safety is the factor few think about but all expect.
Many people plan on visiting their favorite department stores during this season simply to see the decorations and enjoy the atmosphere. The beauty of the season can quickly turn ugly if someone gets hurt, and the tragedy of such an event has repercussions for years.
OSHA Reminds Retailers To Maintain Crowd Control
In a recent news release, the Occupational Health and Safety Administration encourages retail employers to put safety measures in place so that workplace injuries are prevented during major sales events, including Black Friday. They remind us of the tragic occurrence in 2008, when a retail worker was trampled to death as shoppers rushed through the store during a holiday sales scramble.
A crowd management plan can keep even a mass of excited bargain hunters from hurting someone, and simple guidelines for safety are suggested in this release. Some of the suggestions include:
- On-site trained security personnel or police officers,
- Barricades or rope lines for pedestrians that do not start right in front of the store’s entrance,
- The implementation of crowd control measures well in advance of customers arriving at the store,
- Emergency procedures in place to address potential dangers,
- Methods for explaining approach and entrance procedures to the arriving public,
- Not allowing additional customers to enter the store when it reaches its maximum occupancy level, and
- Not blocking or locking exit doors.
Keep Track of All The Details With ChainDrive
Department stores are wonderful places during the holiday shopping season because so much is included within one store location. But an inadequate management solution can have repercussions that equal a Black Friday tragedy because the problems multiply exponentially.
The different departments and modern, multi-channel potential can easily be managed with an integrated retail management software solution designed by retailers and perfect for department store management. ChainDrive safely manages the crowds of details so all are able to be part of a successful, profitable business all year long.